Sunday, March 27, 2011

Reading: Quiet Strength by Tony Dungy (pgs. 127-150)

After completing my next section of Quiet Strength, by Tony Dungy, I have found more insights on life that I believe I will be using in the future.  In chapter ten, Dungy describes his preparations to prepare his Tampa Bay Buccaneers to be a better team.  Through progress in the draft and other signings, the Buccaneers continued to make progress as Dungy describes.  Dungy says that his team helped to build not only a better team on the field, but a better group off the field as well.  He states that he was glad he was put into a position to pick up certain players because they were tough decisions that helped his team become a championship caliber team. 

In chapter eleven, Dungy undergoes improvements with both his team and his personal spiritual life.  Dungy's main point is that other people in his life helped to improve his own situation.  His football team began to buy in and become a great team.  Despite the improvements, the Buccaneers were still not ready to win a championship.  Dungy began to make new changes and work on certain areas to make this dream a reality.  Dungy's disappointments as a coach of the Buccaneers came solely when his team did not meet their potential.  He realized that some teams had more potential than others.  He wanted each team to meet their goals and best possible results given the talent on the team.  At the end of the chapter, Dungy perhaps foreshadows to becoming a coach of another team as he describes his ability to lead a team to a championship.

After reading this section of reading, I agree strongly with Dungy's point on meeting potential.  Personally, I do not view myself as an elite athlete.  I have never been truly superb at any particular sport.  However, my passion and love for sports help me to meet my personal potential.  Although my potential may be less than some, I know I can always meet the goals I have set for myself and even surpass them.  When I focus on my individual improvement rather than looking at how others are doing, I find myself much happier.  Dungy knew what his teams were capable of and he worked to realize each team's true potential.  Dungy's focus is strong and correct, I will continue to use his wisdom in my life in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment