Monday, March 21, 2011

Reading: Quiet Strength by Tony Dungy (pgs. 95-126)

Tony Dungy describes even more strategies of life in the next section of his book, Quiet Strength.  In chapter eight, Dungy describes his massive transitions from being an assistant coach to being a head coach for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.  He describes his initial changes in Tampa Bay as a head coach, including his changing of the entire coaching staff.  He even added one of his best friends, Herman Edwards, to become an assistant coach for him.  He worked hard on establishing better rules and disciplines for players as well as working to improve the image and facilities of the Buccaneers. 

In chapter nine, Dungy describes his major philosophies and styles he brought to the Buccaneers as a coach.  He implemented a new set of rules and discipline for his players.  He also worked very hard with assistants to build a championship caliber team through the NFL draft and other means.  Dungy seemed to apply more and more styles upon the team by the day.  He was well respected for his high level of manner on the field.  Dungy always was a humble guy, and his leadership and growth as a Christian never stopped.  Dungy built a stronger team, and worked harder every day to continue to prepare his players for a chance to shine on a bigger stage.  Dungy also describes his early season successes to be limited as a coach.  His team started off on a terrible streak.  However, they fought through the season and finished with an improved, 6-10 record.  Despite limited success, Dungy showed others that he had the Buccaneers clearly going in the right direction.

After reading this section of reading, I easily agree with Dungy's style.  Dungy seems like the type that does not talk much, but always is working.  I have always enjoyed a more humble, quiet working style.  I believe Dungy knew he had abilities and works in progress that would continue to improve his team.  He knew he was capable of being a great coach, but he focused solely on his work other than talking to the public about how smart he was as a coach.  I always have found that I fair best in a sport when I do little or no bragging leading up to the event.  Whenever I tell people I am going to be great, or set unrealistic expectations, I always seem to walk away disappointed.  I enjoy working in solitude as I continue to increase my strength.  I train myself in a more quiet manner in order to maintain a level head.  I know that I would have a tendency to become cocky, annoying, and arrogant if I started thinking highly of myself.  I know that God hates pride as he states in the Bible.  I realize that how difficult it may be, I must focus every day on maintaining a level head and humbleness when I view myself and the world around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment