Sunday, March 6, 2011

Reading: Quiet Strength by Tony Dungy (pgs. 21-66)

In the next section of my reading of Quiet Strength, by Tony Dungy, I found more ways in which Dungy and I are similar.  In chapter three, Dungy describes his high school experience as a player on both the football and basketball teams.  He was successful as a quarterback in football as well as a varsity player for the basketball team.  He was very successful in both sports, although he decided that he would quit the football team before his senior year due to a problem he believed to be concerning racism.  The football team did not vote for a black friend of his that he believed to be deserving of a captain spot on the team.  Dungy initially decided to quit, with his friends following closely behind him on the team.  However, upon being persuaded by a mentor of his, Dungy decided to return to the team for his senior season.  As for his college career, Dungy decided that he would play both basketball and football for Minnesota University.  Dungy describes his ups and downs while playing football for Minnesota.  He did not play basketball for a long period of time for the school, as he found that balancing the two sports was too difficult.  At the end of the chapter, Dungy describes the difficult reality he faced when he was not drafted to be a quarterback in the NFL. 

In chapter four, Dungy details his path to play for the Pittsburgh Steelers.  However, Dungy was forced to play defensive back, a position he had never played in his career.  He describes the Pittsburgh Steeler's atmosphere to be top notch and full of excellent leaders.  The organization was full of high class people.  Despite switching positions, Dungy found success playing defensive back for the Steelers. 

In chapter five, Dungy describes the remainder of his NFL career, including his trade to the San Francisco 49ers late in his career.  Shortly after his career as an NFL player ended, Dungy accepted an invitation to be an assistant coach with the Pittsburgh Steelers.  In addition, Dungy describes his initial encounters with his soon to be wife at this particular point in his life.  Initially. Dungy was reluctant to meet this woman because Dr. Guest, a preacher, referred him to her.  However, he quickly found out that this woman, Lauren Harris, would be the woman he would marry.  Dungy spends the rest of the chapter describing a developing relationship with his wife and their eventual wedding day.

After reading this section of Quiet Strength, I can relate to Dungy in a couple different ways.  When Dungy describes giving up football due to a disagreement with the coaching staff, I feel I can relate well to his situation.  At the time, he was more concerned about basketball.  He believed giving up football was not a big deal as he had other things going for him.  In my life, I have realized that I must not waste the talents and resources I have been blessed with in my life.  If I have a talent in a particular area, I should not give it up simply because it is hard work and I have other passions I would like to pursue in life.  I must always leave as many doors open as possible in life.  As a result, I can have the most options when I decide to specifically pursue a part of my life more in depth.  Dungy, I believe, realizes this truth when he decides to return to football.  Despite his success in basketball, he realized he could contribute well in football and see where that would lead him.  I believe all people can learn from Dungy's lesson to give everything you have to all phases of your life in order to continue to improve yourself as an individual.

No comments:

Post a Comment