Saturday, April 16, 2011

Reading: More Than Just the Catch by David Tyree (pgs. 1-24)

The next book I have decided to read is More Than Just the Catch, by David Tyree.  David Tyree was a special teams standout in the NFL and made possibly the greatest play in Super Bowl history.  His book is about his story of courage, hope, and achieving the unthinkable.  In the prologue, Tyree describes his sudden rise to fame in the NFL.  Despite his success as a special teams player for the New York Giants, he did not become a household name until he made an incredible catch in the Super Bowl.  He describes how God put him on the big stage to display his incredible story for all people.  He was able to use the stage as his tool to share God's message to all football fans.  God used the Super Bowl to elevate Tyree's fame, continue his story of achieving the impossible, and help Tyree share his faith. 

In chapter one, Tyree describes his extremely difficult childhood and family life.  Even before he was born, Tyree's parents were fighting.  Their tensions eventually became too much and the two divorced each other.  Tyree had two sisters, Jessica and Tara.  Specifically, he was very close to his sister Jessica.  There were several times in which he clung to Jessica for support through their many adverse times at home during their childhoods.  Specifically, Tyree mentions a time in which the two kids were sent to Jamaica with their mother's "friends."  Her "friends" turned out to be maniacs and they severely beat David while David and Jessica's mother was away in the United States preparing to move to Jamaica permanently.  The times seemed like a horror film to David and his sister, but the two became even closer through this scary experience.  Eventually, they were saved by their mother and grandfather.  Tyree describes at the end of the chapter that despite the dysfunctional qualities within his family, they were still a close-knit group.  His family laid a foundation for him to take with him for the rest of his life.

After reading this first section of Tyree's book, I could not help but feel compassion for Tyree's home life.  I personally do not know how it would be to have divorced parents.  Certainly, I cannot relate to his nightmare scenario he experienced in Jamaica as well.  However, I believe Tyree would agree in my analysis that the experiences, although horrific, were vital to his growth as a person.  He was made stronger through his close relationships with his few family members.  I always know there are many things that I wish were not existing in my life.  I also know there were past experiences I had with my family and other people that I would never want to repeat.  However, I would not trade my family for any family in the world.  Even if my family causes some rifts and unwanted drama, I believe these tensions can actually give me perspective and prepare me as a person in maturity.  I have been exposed to some more serious and detrimental factors of this world simply through my family, specifically my three older brothers.  Despite my disapproval for some of their decisions, I know that I am made stronger and God has given me purpose in having my brothers as members of my family.  I look forward to reading more in Tyree's story, More Than Just the Catch.

No comments:

Post a Comment