Monday, February 14, 2011

Reading: Juiced, by Jose Canseco (pgs. 167-206)

After completing the next section of Juiced, by Jose Canseco, I did found several areas of disagreement between myself and Canseco.  In  chapter fifteen, Canseco scans through his career and describes his return to the Oakland A's organization.  He returned to join Mark McGwire, and also newcomer, Jason Giambi.  He describes Giambi as a huge character, as well as the most obvious steroid abuser in the game of baseball.  Overall, Canseco describes how Giambi was protected as he was a white player and also how he became a great player through the use of steroids. 

In chapter sixteen, Canseco goes into extensive detail describing the benefits steroids have had on the MLB and also the players in the league.  He specifically details the journey of Miguel Tejada, a star baseball player that started from an underprivileged background.  He describes how steroids could truly make a player a star, save their career, and also help the player's family by providing money through the player. 

In chapter seventeen, Canseco describes one of the lowest points in his life.  He was going through a difficult time in his life with his second wife, Jessica.  The two were separated and Jessica was seeing another man in Kansas City.  Canseco, with all of the anger over both his marital problems and nonacceptance in baseball, was on the verge of taking his own life.  However, he believed that he heard his daughter far away when he was about to take his own life.  He rushed to her, held her, and eventually overcame his suicidal feelings.  He repaired his relationship with Jessica better, and overall, his perspective improved.  He describes his daughter as the person who saved his life.

In my opinion, I think Canseco has made more than his fair mistakes in his life.  Not to say we have not all made mistakes, because I know how I constantly disobey and make mistakes.  However, some of Canseco's intentions and overall morals go against my own.  For example, he had problems with his wife to the point she was seeing another man.  I plan to do my best to never separate from any spouse that I may have down the road.  I will not see divorce or separation as an option.  Canseco also describes a moment in which he felt that there was another being saving his life.  I believe he may be correct on this assumption.  I have also heard stories about other people whom saw divine intervention save their lives.  Overall, I agree with Canseco in some areas of this reading, while I disagree in several other areas.

No comments:

Post a Comment